Thursday, February 10, 2005

Girl in the City

So I actually find myself with a little time today to write - my work for the day completed and it being after the hour that anyone will conceivably call me back. I've had quite the social life here recently, due entirely to several of my friend visiting from their wildly exciting lives in Asia. Also, a third friend has returned from her brief experiment of living in Oregon where, shockingly, she learned to love the South. Tuesday we went to our local (meaning fake) Pat O'Brien's to celebrate the Mardi Gras. That meant drinking too many hurricane but miraculously not passing out in our own vomit. Then last night it was a dinner for seven, followed by some very bad math and more drinking. However, after the weekend slush fest and Tuesday's excess, I stuck with water.
I was so busy this week that I totally missed The Gilmore Girls AND The West Wing. I don't know what's come over me. But I have been distracted by real life and TV just can't compare to the exciting drama that is the Jeff Gannon/James Guckert White House saga.

Don't worry though, soon this will all be over - the Thailand-based Peace Corps friend (heretofore referred to as "Thai Girl") has already returned home and her China-based twin (who, in an homage to David Bowie, will now be known as China Girl) leaves Tuesday - and I'll return to my normally scheduled home-bound life and resume my whine-o-blog, complaining about local drivers, television, food, work and anything else I can dream up while sitting at my semi-cubicle.

1 comment:

Linus said...

All the Asian adventurers I know discourage the adventuring every time I bring it up. So I guess I'll stick to the good ol' U.S. of A for now.

You missed a really good Gilmore Girls. Rory mentioned the ARCADE FIRE (definitely going to make it into one of my GG dreams), Emily got drunk on Rum & Cokes, and Christopher and Luke almost got in a fight (unfortunately, they are both lovers and not fighters, so we had to deal with the dull, talky alternative).