Saturday, November 22, 2008

Your morning cup o' ketchup

I like to talk to you a minute about breakfast. In particular the two egg and cheese on a roll. My favorite is actually two egg and cheese on an English Muffin, but that isn't really offered at delis around the region and so I go with roll or, preferably, bagel when it's available.

However it's not the bread I want to discuss, but what they ask me every time I order this combo. "Ketchup, salt and pepper?"

That's right, ketchup.

I'll admit that I'm naturally prejudiced against ketchup. I don't like it even on fries, so obviously I wouldn't like it on eggs and cheese, but at least I understand it on fries. But on eggs? Seriously?

I think, maybe, I've seen little kids put ketchup on scrambled eggs before, but little kids will put ketchup on anything. Some children use food as an excuse just to eat ketchup.

I have learned not to make a fast of disgust when they ask me, but when I answer with "no just salt and pepper" they look at me as if I'm a freak; as if I had ordered a monkey and seal meat sandwich. But I'm pretty sure that I am not the freak in this one. That New Yorkers are the freaks. All I'm saying is there's a reason McDonald's doesn't put ketchup on the Egg McMuffin. And if anyone loves ketchup, it's McDonald's.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

ketchup on eggs?! That's crazy talk! I love ketchup, and have braved many a French waiter for the pleasure of eating it with my frites, but on an egg and cheese sandwich? That's just gross. Egg and cheese is already a perfect combination...why ruin it?