Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas blues (and silver)

In New York, it's an unspoken rule that Jewish employees work the Christian holidays, and then Christians work the Jewish holidays, so everyone gets to celebrate without too many problems. Except where I work. Where I work, our senior editors, who are mostly Jewish, take off all the holidays. In fact my direct supervisor (who is also middle management) jokes that next year they're going to start taking the Eid's off.

I bring this up because I'm at work on a Christmas Eve night. Two other middle management editors were here with me earlier in the evening. We are all Christians. Meanwhile, upper management, as always, took the day off. And the rest of the week. While it is Hanukkah week, they did not take the first part of the week off. Instead, they took the part of the week off that the Christian holiday falls on.

I'm a little annoyed by it, but more so I feel sorry for my boss who wanted off to spend the holiday with his family upstate. Instead he had to work today and then drive up after work. Then he has to be back at work Friday morning. Merry Christmas, eh?

No comments: