Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Bronx Zoo

So a couple of weeks ago, on a pleasant day (ok it was the Western world's Easter), me and my roommate went to the Bronx Zoo...along with every Orthodox Jew in NYC. We assume they had the same idea that we did — with all the gentiles slung up in church, there wouldn't be big crowds at the zoo.

The zoo was awesome and though we spent four hours there we didn't see everything there was to see on the cheapest ticket you could buy ($15). My favorite parts were the seals, the penguin feeding and leopards playing.



The worst part by far was the polar bear exhibit. I felt so bad for that bear. He looked 100 years old and so sad and lonely laying on concrete by himself. A lot of the zoo has been updated for modern times to put the animals in more natural habitats. His, however, was really old school. It hurt my heart.


And made me especially fond of the Memphis Zoo, which is by far the best zoo I've ever been to. It's habitats are uber natural. And the polar bears in particular seem to be having an incredible time, frolicking around, swimming and charging the glass at little kids/lunch. Plus, Memphis has pandas. Real pandas...not the fake red ones.

No comments: