Friday, September 16, 2005

History Grade: F-


Books Bought This Week: 0
Books (excluding comics) Read This Week: 1/4 (Wizard and Glass by Stephen King)
Books (including comics) Read This Week: 3 1/4
Movies Watched This Week: 1
Episodes of Gilmore Girls Watched This Week: 6
History Questions Missed This Week: 1
History Questions Asked This Week: 1



I read in the New York Times today that the amount of television I watch is directly tied to my knowledge of U.S. history. I think by my tally above, you'll find the NYT is right. I, like most of the interviewed graduates of Top 10 universities did not the answer to the following question, which had MULTIPLE CHOICES:

Who was the American general at the Battle of Yorktown?
A) William Sherman B) Ulysses Grant C) Douglas MacArthur D) George Washington.

The answer, of course (I can say that now that I know the answer), is D.

I, idiotically chose B. Grant at Yorktown? What was I thinking?

So to make myself feel worse about my American education I will be taking any history questions you have for me and keep a running tally of my lack of U.S. knowledge. This should be particularly amusing to Satchel who is an Americanist in his PhD history program and who I believe is the only person reading this blog.

1 comment:

Outlander said...

Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?

(Hint:It's not Washington)

P.S. Are you coming to the Florida Game?