Thursday, March 09, 2006

Pre-(Somebody Else's) Wedding Jitters: Another reason weddings suck

Had my first wedding-related nightmare last night. Can't remember exactly the details, but I was at work, which in my dream shared an office with my old university radio station. And this girl, who I worked with at the newspaper in Savannah was the afternoon DJ. I knew in the dream that she had asked me to pick up some of her shifts that week.

So, I'm sitting across from her, typing away and she's yelling at someone on the phone along the lines of, "No. She can't make it. [pause] Because. [pause] Yeah, she's right here." And she transfers the phone call to me. It's the bride-to-be, whose wedding I'm in and she's saying she needs me at 4 p.m. to help with something. I'm at first confused by why she was first talking to the DJ and I ponder this out loud and then think, the bride-to-be (heretofore referred to as Tammy, for not other reason than I recently read that Sweet Potato Queens book), so I think, Tammy must have dialed in on the main number and they transferred her to the DJ because they knew I was working for her. This logic somehow made sense to the dream me...although even dream me was questioning the validity of it.

Anyway, I tell Tammy that I can't possibly make it at 4 p.m. because I'm working. Can't we do it later, I ask. She hangs up the phone. So I try to call her back to suggest that I can leave at 4 p.m. and meet her at 5 p.m., because my boss (my real boss, not the DJ whose shift I'm NOT picking up that afternoon) has popped his head out of the office and said it was okay if I needed to leave early. But my phone doesn't seem to be working. At first, every time I pick it up to dial there is someone dialing in and I keep getting voice mails from some random PR guy. After I check those messages, I try to dial her again and nothing happens. I just get a dial tone. So I grab the phone of the DJ, asking if her phone is working. I pick it up and dial my phone and it rings. I call my home phone and it rings. So I start to dial Tammy's number and realize I don't know it. I look in my address book, an old phone number. I look in my mobile phone address book (Don't ask. I don't know why I didn't just use my mobile to call her. It's a dream, people.), nothing. So now I'm feeling pretty frantic and also bad for upsetting Tammy. I call my parents to get the number and that's the last thing I remember. I don't know how it ended. I think that's because, about that time, I got a wet dog nose to the face and a hopeful, "Time to go out?" lick to the cheek.

I can't believe the stress this wedding is causing me. Not getting married is rough on a girl, I tell you.

2 comments:

Linus said...

I think your Mom has been training in PsyOps. Are you sure she doesn't have another secret previous occupation, like Greek CIA or something?

Bucky said...

Well, she does like to brag that people think she's a witch because she always knows about things before they happen.

And she does have a reputation for keeping her past all secret, so I suppose she could have been part of some Greek KGB-type op.