Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Movies

So in the last few weeks I've Netflixed "Babel", "Stranger Than Fiction" and "Thanks For Your Consideration". I have been wowed by none of these movies.

I liked "Stranger Than Fiction" right up to the end where — and there will be a spoiler here — they don't kill the main character despite the fact the whole movie is leading up to that point and it's not the kind of not killing that makes you think, "Oh. That IS clever." No. It's the kind of not killing that makes you think, "Friggin' cowards." America cinema's refusal to kill off their heroes is very angering.

I liked "Thanks For Your Consideration". I didn't have high hopes for it because while "Waiting for Guffman" and "Best In Show" were awesome, I was disappointed by "A Mighty Wind." Guest's entire mockumentary focus seemed to be getting stale. And while this movie had the same feel, it was at least different in that there weren't interviews with the main characters, like the others. And I can't tell you how many times I've quoted that movie in the last few weeks (due largely to Purim, but still...) So it gets points for that.

My biggest disappointment was "Babel", however. The film was incredibly well acted. Thumbs up to all the actors and even more of them should have nominated for awards (except Brad Pitt...sorry Mr. Jolie, NO OSCAR for you!) But after I watched the whole two and half hours I was like, "WHAT?!" First of all I could never figure out what Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett were doing in Morocco? Who goes to Morocco to repair their marriage after their baby dies of SIDS? And why did SHE go to Morocco. She clearly didn't want to be there and he was the one that was supposed to be groveling because he took off and left her and kids after the baby died. So that just sets the whole thing off on the wrong foot. And okay, so I can buy the kids shooting at the bus and all that. But seriously? Why WOULDN"T you put her on the bus and rush her to the hospital after she's been all stitched up by the vet? How is going by bumpy ambulance any better than going by bumpy bus. Ladies, stay the hell away from Brad Pitt, he does not make good decisions regarding your well-being.

I liked the Japan plot line. I had no problems with that part of it. I even liked its connection to the Morocco plot line. But I think the dumbest was the Mexican nanny story line where after dragging these little white kids down to Mexico for her son's wedding, she would get into a car with her intoxicated nephew who has already had trouble with border patrol and drive back to San Diego at dawn? What? Oh and she's been living in the U.S. illegally for 16 years? Who would do that? Aren't you just asking border patrol to act like stupid American assholes? Oh and friggin' border patrol at Mexico SPEAKS SPANISH! Just like border patrol at Canada speaks French! So stupid. Then, THEN, she's going to get out in the middle of the desert with these kids? WHAT?!!!! I just....it makes me so angry. So, so very angry. We, the movie viewing audience, aren't all idiots. And it would be one thing if these were stupid characters or if they made one bad mistake. But that script was just silly and insulting to me as a audience member.

But again. I have to say wow to the acting. Can we get that cast in a good movie, please? Anyway, kudos to the Academy for ONCE for not giving in to the hype. That movie did not deserve Best Picture. However, thumbs down for not giving some of actresses awards and for not nominated the Japanese father for his role.

And that's all I have to say on the topic of movies for now. Maybe I'm a little too passionate about film, but I can't help it. I just think cinema could be so much more than it is. Why do you want to hurt me so, Hollywood? (¡And that includes you too Alejandro González Iñárritu!)

No comments: