Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Spanish Art

This week in Spanish class we had to write papers on an artist. Thus the painting to the left. I wrote about Joan Miro, who I mistakenly though was French, but who in fact is from Barcelona. At least he lived in Paris for a long while. That makes me feel a little better about it. His art amuses me. This one is called "The Birth of the World" ("el nacimiento de mundo"). I used it in my paper as my example of the work he's most famous for. It was also a nice illustration of the type of work that at first glance people (like certain Spanish instructors at community college) might a 5-year-old could do, but which has a more complicated technique (note the background looks like a mix of trees and swamps and evokes the feeling of a primordial ooze from which the world crawled out of) and also a meaning, which is not childlike at all (note the giant orange balloon/sperm that catches the eye). Anyway, that's what I've been tied up with later. We'll see what my nemesis the Spanish Teacher says when the papers come back on Thursday.

2 comments:

Bucky said...

Apparently she like my paper so much, she read parts of it out loud to the class. (I was late last week.) Great. Now they all really do hate me. I hate me. Stupid teacher's pet.

Anonymous said...

When you're good, you're good.