Wednesday, April 16, 2008

From Bucky to Romantic Superhero

Because I don't have enough to do what with my job and my new social networking duties therein, I have foolishly put my hat in to be a blogger at BreakupGirl.net. They want me to produce some sample posts by the end of the week. Crap.

Here was the post I responded to:

Web superhero seeks blogger/sidekick for fun, clips

Us: Venerable, award-winning website about love, and/or lack thereof, geared for both men and women and combining witty relationship advice with sophisticated comic-strip adventures. We are seeking a new sidekick for help with content writing and management on our new blog.

You: Ace reporter, crackerjack writer. Funny, funny, and funny. Able to spot relationship-related news stories and the clever or insightful angle therein. You should have your own distinct voice and take, but should also be willing to roll with us in terms of style and philosophy. We may also want you to help track and moderate blog comments when necessary. Swinging geeky is good; affinity for superheroes a major plus.

Pay: Alas, none. This is a VERY part-time (part-part-time?) pursuit in which you may engage from the privacy of your own home/cafe/McJob.

Payoff: Honing of your voice and your nose for news. Tons of [short] clips. Considerable cachet / street cred! The opportunity to become part of a tight, fun team who will give you glowing references. And, possibly, your very own cartoon alter ego.



Last night this seemed like a good idea. Though it doesn't pay, it sounded like a fun distraction from my real work. Plus I'd actually heard of the site and been on it before. And would give me real blogging experience (as opposed to you guys here...sorry, fake audience of four), which is what half the paying jobs now have listed as a job requirement. And since it isn't paid, it doesn't violate my current work contract.

Of course, now I'm under pressure to be funny, which is no way for funny to work.

Crap.

No comments: