Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Unemployment Update: A few fishies decide to bite

I'm not sure where we left this, but here's some numbers:

Number of weeks unemployed:10.5
Number of applications sent out: About 60
Number of rejections: 5
Number of potential jobs I'm actively dealing with: 2

So I was reject last night for the job at the Chicago paper. Not terribly surprising. I wasn't expecting to get the job I actually wanted in this market. In the meantime, however, I've been contacted by two other places.

One is a small communications firm also in Chicago. I sent my resume in Friday afternoon and by Monday morning I had an e-mail waiting for me asking me to call the president of the firm. We had a short chat — about 30 minutes — and then she sent me a test article to write for a newsletter. We've also set up a video conference interview for tomorrow and I've filled out an employment application. The video conference is interesting. I think it's a way to do an in-person interview without actually being there in person, which saves their company a lot of money. If I can drop it in seamlessly during our interview, I think I'm going to suggest she pitch that story to the newspapers as a way of getting her company some extra press: ways companies who are hiring in this economy are using technology to save money in the process. Can't you just see the business section of a newspaper jumping all over that? Who wouldn't want to hire a creative thinker like me?!

While that was going on I also heard from a job I applied for back at the beginning of August in New York City. They said I was being considered for the writer position and to send two writing samples, which I did today.

What happens if I get two job offers and have to choose?! Obviously, this will never happen, but oh the agony if it does. And then once I take a job, of course, all the greatest jobs in the world will come tumbling along into my lap. "Oh, Bucky, please take these jobs that pay boatloads of money and require travel to exciting, international destinations while not requiring anything approaching real work at all." Sigh.

Well, it's nice to dream anyway.

1 comment:

POPPA said...

Though it's not the Chicago job you wanted, at least it'll get you to Chicago without being on the dole! Go for it!