Monday, January 05, 2009

iFight

iPhone and I had our first fight today.

I use my cell phone as my alarm clock. It's convienent, since I always have it with me, and means I don't have to buy an alarm clock. Normally, I don't really need an alarm clock because I work nights and so I just wake up when I wake up. But this morning I had a dentist appointment and needed to drop my truck off for an oil change first. So I set the alarm on iPhone for the first time. It went off as scheduled. However, it seemed to enjoy alarming too much and wouldn't turn off. In fact it wouldn't do anything except sound the alarm.

For 12 minutes I tried holding down the on/off button, the main menu button, I tried the volume controls. Nothing. Just a black screen and an alarm that wouldn't stop. With my old phone, I would have removed the battery at this point. That solves all problems. But any of you with and iPod or Phone knows that Apple installs the batteries so that they are not removable. And unlike iPod, there is apparently not special sequence of things that will reboot it when it freezes.

So finally, I had to hook it up to my computer and RESTORE THE FACTORY SETTINGS!!! This is extremely annoying and, frankly, quite ridiculous. It's not really something I want to go through every time I need to use the alarm. And though it asks you if you want to back up your settings, etc., before it wipes the phone clean and reloads it, it does not back up the iPod part of the phone, so then you have to reload the music onto the phone. I see a little talk with the Mac Geniuses in my future.

No comments: