Thursday, September 23, 2004

Vote Dammit

I thought by now I'd have witnessed all the annoying behavior there was to witness at a concert. But I was wrong. Last night, for the first time ever, I couldn't hear the musician because PEOPLE WERE TALKING. And it wasn't just that one loud, drunk sorority girl that you get stuck next to sometimes, but it was EVERYONE. As if Ani DiFranco was the house band for some hook-up dive where no one came for the music and only wanted cheap beer and someone to take home. Sadly there was no cheap beer and Ani is not in a house band (nor are tickets to her concert particularly inexpensive). I tried changing locations, but no, the chatter was absolutely everywhere. I was not surprised when she performed a one-song encore. Actually, I was surprised she did an any-song encore and didn't just say, "Screw you guys I'm going home." But I guess she REALLY wants us to vote on Nov. 2. Not that anyone could hear the message.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once went to an Etta James concert and the people in front of me kept talking on their cell phones. When Etta would sing one of her classics they would dial someone, talk a bit and then hold the phone out so the other people could hear. Let them buy their own $50 ticket.

Anonymous said...

Uh Helll-OOO

the reason they turn up the music so loud is so that it can be heard over the people talking. And the reason for the talking is because most pop music sucks anyway. That was, after all, the reason amplifiers were invented for popular music.

Back a hundred years ago, there were no such things as amps. Instead, you would go to a bar and hear an acoustic jazz band. But-- problem. Musicians started getting all full of themselves. Suddenly every asshole with a guitar playing in a shit dive thought of himself as an "artist." thus the amp was invented to make himself heard over the "disrespectful rabble."

I'd much rather talk on my cell phone than listen to ani difranco sing her lesbo bull crap. She can turn up the amp and my ass will turn up the ringer.

Linus said...

That's bullshit.

Nothing infuriates me more than chatter at a show (the only thing that comes close is people who sing), especially one that's not RAWK. Those shows need a little silence from the crowd.

I once went to see the Red House Painters at the Double Door and the Wicker Park-ians stood in the back and talked through the whole show. I refuse to go back there. Elvis, Cobain, and Hendrix, could come back from the dead and play a show there. Wouldn't go.

You're better than me. I would've started closest to me and asked people to shutup or go someplace else to talk.