Monday, November 01, 2004

Bucky's Meek Return

Well I had a rough week but I've made it through. Sorry I couldn't post but I was extremely busy. And now I've had a most unrestful weekend. I finally bought a (used) motorcycle on Saturday. Drove it home no problems. Then yesterday I drove it to Oxford and back to visit a friend. I am sooo sore and discovered that I have a problem keeping the bike from falling over after I've stopped. So far I've only encountered this problem in parking lots, but it has made me deathly afraid of stopping on the street. It's a mid-weight bike but that's still pretty heavy and takes two people to get it back on its wheels. (It's been amusing watching men try to upright it by themselves before moving over and letting me help.) But I think the biggest problem is that my feet do not completely touch the ground. Only the front of my feet...more than my tip toes but not a whole solid foot. Harley makes a ladies bike that is supposed to be better heighted (yes, I made that word up) to women, but I'm not really a Harley enthusiast. So I plan to take the bike to my parent's house in the country and practice my stopping, starting and turning out there with the horses and pastures. That way if I fall over at a stop sign in the street no car is likely to come run over me. Maybe a dog will come sniff me, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Also, for all you none riders up there, a piece of advice: Do not, DO NOT try to pass a motorcyclist on an one-lane on ramp or off ramp. Fools, you'll kill us both!

Halloween was fairly uneventful, otherwise. Not a lot of ghouls and goblins this year. But did go to another rockin' philosophy student party Saturday. At this point I might as well enroll in the graduate program myself.

2 comments:

Linus said...

YEAH! Philosophy Students! YEAH!

Just think what the bike will do for your upper body strength. Can I get a ride next time I'm down? I'll bring my bitch-leather.

Bucky said...

By the time you come for a visit again I'll be able to bench press you with all my newfound upper body strength! [insert roar here]

By the way, I rode to Jackson this weekend and successfully kept the motorcycle upright the entire time. We'll soon be weaving in and out of traffic on our bike ride across country. Don't worry the back of my helmet is extremely interesting to look at.