Monday, May 07, 2007

More on my neighbors

I came to the conclusion today that most of them do not seem to work. I say seem, though I know, in fact, that many of them do not have jobs. This includes the afore mentioned downstairs neighbor. He used to own a restaurant with his ex-wife and recently said "Screw it!" and let her have it. He's looking for work now, I think.

The other downstairs neighbor doesn't seem to work either. She has the world's loudest dachshund, which she never takes outside. I don't know where he goes to the bathroom. She doesn't have a car, as far as I can tell, and she is often outside waiting for a ride. She is an older woman. She also seems to be gone for days at a time, leaving behind the yapping dog.

There's also a woman in the building next to me. She has a poodle and two sons, who are in their 20s. The older one is off at college and works full time. He does not live at home. The younger son, who I think is only just 20, lives at home and does not go to college, nor does he work. Instead, he hangs out with his girlfriend, friends or fights very loudly with his mother, whom he often calls a bitch. The mother also does not work. She is on public assistance, though she does watch a child after school at her apartment for a friend who pays her. Whenever the son needs something, he asks his mother for it. This includes not just food and clothes, but gifts for the girlfriend. He is, perfectly capable of working, but is lazy (according to his mother).

There is a mixed race couple with a little baby girl and a boxer (dog), I think. I'm not good with dog breeds. I don't know their story and only lately have begun speaking with the man (he seems really young, and I hesitate to call him a man) because he is often out with the dog and I'm out with my dog and the dogs want to sniff each other, leaving us either awkward silence or small talk. Today he was doing his laundry when I went down to do mine and he had taken all of his clothes down in black garbage bags, which he threw away after loading the clothes into the wash. He also sprayed Lysol in the washing machine and dryer before using them. I found both of these behaviors odd.

Anyway, those are the people I'll start with. In the next edition, I'll discuss Jeremy my neighbor across the hall who seems to both have a girlfriend and be gay, and also is never home. And the retired WWII vet and his wife who recently moved here from North Carolina (sometimes I think the old man is hitting on me and that creeps me out way worse than the downstairs neighbor).

No comments: