Sunday, September 16, 2007

Brooklyn: Part the first

Though really I haven't lived in New York long enough to make comments like the following, I'm going to anyway.

I'm a little bit embarrassed to admit this, but I thing I have a little crush on Brooklyn Heights. I don't know the exact latitudes and longitudes of this particular neighborhood, but it begins, I believe, in the shadow of the Brooklyn Bridge and heads south to some unknown (to me) point.


I spent the day there today, wandering it's streets, watching kids play in its parks, sitting on its waterfront promenade — which right now isn't all that pretty due to some unsightly piers operated by Port Authority, but I understand that those soon will be demolished and a meandering waterfront park will be put up in its place — window shopping.


We ate brunch at a restaurant called Heights Cafe on Montague Street.

I had a spinach and feta tart that was heavy on the spinach, light on the feta and seemed more quiche-ish than tart-ly to me. My dining companion, who was sporting a hangover, had a cheeseburger and reported it was perfect. So meat beats tarts once again.

I've been here before and I always find it too cute for words. Today we passed a dad and son holding a sidewalk sell. The dad had a dad-sized table in front of him featuring such items as paperback novels and pint glass. The son had a kiddie-sized table in front of him featuring such items as plastic armor and stuffed dinosaurs. Seriously it looked like a sidewalk scene from a movie. It was too perfect.

In addition to being too cute for words, I'm sure it's also too expensive for words to set up a home there, but it's nice to wander it's streets, hang out in its dog parks and daydream.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, I like the pictures ...hey, did you change your background? Looks good.

Anonymous said...

Also there used to be a well-known pizza place in Brooklyn Heights. But my New York brain cells are dead and I forgot its name. ITS name.

Cheri said...

Hey Brooklyn, is this girl botherin' you? 'cause if she is, she and i are gonna have a little talk. ...Down by the river...near the watah plant....

Bucky said...

FYI from Brownstoner.com

Seems Brooklyn Heights wasn't picture perfect enough for the Coen Brothers. The duo is shooting "Burn After Reading" on State Street between Clinton and Court over the next few weeks, and a production crew has painted the facades of a couple buildings red, blue and yellow, and is adding ornamental details to a couple others. A worker said the buildings are being transformed in order to approximate the look of a Georgetown street for the flick, which stars George Clooney, Brad Pitt and John Malkovich. The worker also told us the buildings are going to be washed off after filming wraps since "this is a historic district and all."