Friday, October 05, 2007

Mallo-yummie!

I know New York is all known for its cuisine, so it probably speaks to my lameness that the newest food I have discovered comes, not from some old time deli or swank New York cafe or a world-known pizza institution. No, the food I present to you today is made by Nabisco. I give you Mallomars cookies.
I had never even heard of these cookies until someone brought them to work one day. I was all like, "What are Mallomars?" And you'd think I'd insulted the Pope, or something. They were all, "You've never heard of MALLOMARS?!"

Then I bought a box. (They're like Smores, really - a Graham cracker cookie and marshmallow covered in dark chocolate. I'm thinking about putting one in the microwave and seeing if I can make it even more Smore-like.)

According to Wikipedia, the Mallomar is produced seasonally by the cookie company. So that might explain my recent introduction to them. And the fact that since I had that first Mallomar, I've noticed that the grocery stores have a huge display of them at the front when you walk in. It also explains why they're about $5 for a box. More expensive than Girl Scout cookies.

From the box I learned that the Mallomar was created by Nabisco in 1913 (same year as the Moonpie, Wikipedia says) and first sold to a grocer in West Hoboken, NJ. I also learned that more than 70 percent of all Mallomar sales are "generated in the shadow of the Big Apple." We are also "the most loyal Mallomars fans."

Well, they just got one more fan.

6 comments:

Bucky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheri said...

A version of those things are huge in Quebec, too!

Anonymous said...

You know I've HEARD of Mallomars but have never actually tasted one, or even seen one. Maybe they just don't get down this way ...?

Bucky said...

I suddenly feel a need to export them to everyone I know.

Linus said...

I feel like there's a Southern equivalent as well. Pinwheels, maybe? But I'm not positive they involve graham crackers (They're also made by Nabisco so there's got to be an interesting acquisition/regionalism story there).

MuffinGal said...

I have tried Whippets (Canadian Mallomars) and Pinwheels (also made by Nabisco) and neither come close to Mallomars.