Monday, October 29, 2007

Oxi Day


Today is a big civic holiday in Greece. (By today I mean Sunday.) It is/was Oxi Day, which translates to No Day. It's the day we celebrate the country's refusal to let Axis powers stroll through the country and use it as a base of operation during the war. So instead Italy attacked us and thus we entered World War II. It happens every Oct. 28.

Also on Oct. 28, Dick Cheney arrived in Dutchess County to do a little hunting and Porter Wagoner died and The Red Sox won the world series.

It's been a busy day.

Today also marks the seventh day in a row that I have work. This is because, just as George Bush did on this same weekend back in (when was it Deadman? 2003? 2004?), the veep has rolled into my life on Halloween weekend when a friend was visiting from out of town and thus said friend had to spend the weekend exploring the city alone. And I didn't even have a Philosophy Student Party to take her to!

That is also why this blog is woefully out-of-day. I can't wait for Nov. 6 to come and go. I hate elections. Actually, I need to rename Election Day as my own personal Oxi Day.

1 comment:

Linus said...

Yeah, it was a LOOOONG time ago. Probably 2003. It was so long ago we only really hated him for occupying your time forcing me to walk my ass all over Memphis.