Sunday, October 07, 2007

Reviews. Catching up

Am I behind! I just realized that I haven't mentioned what I've been viewing in quite a while. I mean there's a reason I haven't updated you on what I've been reading...I haven't. At least not in English. Spanish is consuming my life and you'll see that in the movies I've been watching as well.

I did, however, finish "Marley and Me." It is sappy. Easy to read. Not the greatest writing in the world. And yet, at the end, I was crying like a baby. Anyone who has ever loved a pet will understand and thus it is obvious why this book did so well.

Movie-wise I've done better. But only because on my current Netflix plan I get only two movies a month and I feel like I HAVE to watch them or else I don't get my $6 worth. So since The Candidate, I've watched the following films (with mini reviews attached):

The City of No Limits.
My rating: See this movie. In Spanish and French with English subtitles, this flick is a great film noire featuring the incredible Spanish actor Fernando Fernan Gomez. Really. He's an amazing actor and he should bet getting as much acclaim as any of those white men with English accents people are going on about, but because he makes Spanish language films, he does not. The Netflix plot synopsis: This haunting drama set in Paris revolves around Max, a former titan of Spanish industry who's become terminally ill. As his family members gather around him, the delusional Max talks incessantly about a plot against Rancel, apparently an old acquaintance of his. When Max becomes increasingly earnest in his ranting, his son Victor decides to take him seriously and investigate his story.

300. My review: Rent if you like this genre. Based on the comic book, it is gory and full of testosterone. I liked it. But then again, I like comic books. The Netflix plot synopsis: About the storied Battle of Thermopylae, a conflict that pitted the ancient Greeks against the Persians in 480 B.C.

Hot Fuzz. My review: Stop everything to see this. Look, I liked Shuan of the Dead OK. I wasn't all crazy for it like my friends. But this move, by the same guys, is hilarious. I found something painfully familiar in the desire to be village of the year. It reminded me of where I work, somehow. Netflix plot synopsis: A top London cop is ready to die of boredom when his superiors transfer him to a sleepy English village to work alongside a blundering but well-meaning young constable. Craving some real action, the big-city bobby may just get his wish when the town begins to stir with a series of grisly "accidents." Is foul play afoot in this seemingly idyllic hamlet?

Mala Uva. My review: If you want something funny with a cheesy, unlikely, sorta happy ending, this is for you. The name of the film in Spanish means "bad grapes", but they called the English release "The Hit Man." I like Bad Grapes better. But either way, it's about a retired hit man who has a vineyard and a daughter about to marry when his crop is damaged beyond repair after grafting French vines with his Spanish ones (a nice dig at the French by the filmmakers). Anyway, he comes out of retirement and wacky adventure ensues. I won't give you the Netflix plot synopsis because it's not quite right.

Next up is The Queen with Helen Mirren and I'm still reading the Che biography.

2 comments:

Linus said...

Hot Fuzz and 300 were probably 2 of my favorite movies this year. Glad you finally saw them. I found the Kinks to be a nice touch in Hot Fuzz. Something about Timothy Dalton was hysterical as well. I think I kept thinking of the villain he played in the Rocketeer. Grocery store entreprenuers are alot like Nazis.

Anonymous said...

Will you ever be done with the Che biography?