Monday, March 17, 2008

(Bad Luck) O' The Irish

This was my St. Patrick's Day. German and Italian beer and pizza. What is they say — if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. That pretty much sums up my life, relationship included.

I have a pretty funny train ride in story, but that's about as Irish as my day got. As soon as I arrived in NYC, I had to wait for my boyfriend to arrive, as always. I sat at Starbucks for about an hour. Then he picks me up and announces that he passed a couple of Irish-pub type places on the way in and they were packed and he's decided we weren't staying in the city. So he takes me to Staten Island. He doesn't ask me, he just takes me there. I had plans with someone later in the evening - a former reporter of mine who now works in the city. The boyfriend was working nights this week and so when he went home to sleep, I was going to hang out with my friend and get in some celebrating time.

Instead we go to Staten Island, drive around for two hours. I don't know what we're looking for. He makes about five references to going to Chili's - though he knows I wanted to do an Irish pub or at the least get a corned beef sandwich; something he had previously claimed to also want to do. Finally, I say, "Fine. Let's go to Chili's. I don't care. I'm starving." (It's now 3 p.m.) And he snaps at me, "What's with your attitude?! You don't think I'm hungry too!" And that was pretty much the end of our conversation for the day.

We wind up at this Italian restaurant/pizzaria called Villa Monte and have pizza and the beer seen above. Then he takes me back to his apartment where he packs for his week at work and then takes a nap. I nap too, because I have nothing better to do. We wake up at 7:10 p.m. and finally around 7:45 p.m. I say to him, "What are your plans for me?" And as if it's an annoyance, he says to me, "I'll drop you off at a train station in the city on the way to work." Which is what he does.

When he drops me off, he leans over to kiss me and I reflexively, without even thinking, turn my head so he winds up kissing me on the cheek. He says to call him when I get home and something about being safe, but by that time I was already out the car door and halfway to the station. I did not call him when I got home.

And that was my day.

I'll write up the brief, but funny tale of my trip in later. When I'm feeling a little more festive.

No comments: