Monday, March 03, 2008

New Jersey Transit

Had my first experience with public transportation in New Jersey today. I took the train from Newark airport into the city and was surprised at how easy it was to use. The ticketing process was simple and it took no time at all to get from the airport to Penn Station (New York).

I also learned there was a Penn Station Newark. That is a little confusing. Anyone know why there are two Penn Stations in such close proximity? There was at least one guy that wasn't paying attention and got off in New Jersey when he was headed to New York. Then again, he also tried to get off at the airport where I got on, not realizing it was NOT NYC, so I think maybe he just has some serious confusion issues going on.

Actually, so far getting to Newark rates WAY higher on the ease and quickness scale than getting to JFK via public transportation. I haven't yet tried to get to LaGuardia, but I've mapped it out in case I ever have to. It involves a bus and I'm pretty leery of those as I have a fundamental inability to understand their routes. But a bus with a giant sign that says "To LaGuardia airport" pulls right up to the Harlem/125th Street Metro North stop, so I'm confident I can get TO the airport. I'm just not so confident I could get back...you know without calling up TomClancy and saying, "Come get me at the airport. I have no idea where these buses go!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The train to Newark is quick, easy, and clean, but the bus to La Guard is simple too. In the past you could catch it starting 110 and B'way. Bus stop is clearly marked so it's also no problem to get home again.