Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Weighing in on Spitzer

I don't think anyone is coming to Bucky's World for news of Spitzer, so instead I'll just share some inside anecdotes.

At about 1:55 p.m. the managing editor comes running (ok, really, it was more walking fast) to my desk and says, and I quote, "Sptizer. Prostitute. What's your plan?." The last line may have been "We need a plan." But I can't remember now. I look at him blankly and said, "What are you talking about? Is this a knock-knock joke?" He said, "No. It's the top update on the Web site." I look at our site, which is up on my computer and say, "I don't see it on our site. What are you talking about." Then he says in an even more frantic voice, "No. The New York TIMES Web site!" As if I was just supposed to guess that. Then for the next seven hours - including two meetings on the topic - my meager staff produced about 14 stories - four full inside pages, plus all but one slot on the cover. More than any other paper in New York State, including the New York Times. Today, the executive editor seemed to be thinking, "Okay, maybe she was right (talking about me, who, for once, was the voice of reason). This WAS a little overkill, as there was no actual resignation."

Now we, along with the rest of the state and national media, are on Spitzer resignation watch.

And this blog entry would not be complete without us giving some love to the New York Post, which once again through taste and ethics out the window when it with the following headline in today's paper (complete with the indefatigable slammer):

No comments: