Friday, October 17, 2008

A brief interlude for a word on Mississippi politics

Mississippi made the New York Times today. And while they managed to drag racism in a little bit with the flag issue – as they always do whenever mentioning Mississippi - I found it last obvious than usual; almost non-existent in the story. A good sign maybe?

Maybe they finally realized that Staten Island is WAY more racist than Mississippi has ever been in my lifetime. And that’s their own backyard. In fact, in the two and half years I’ve lived here I’ve more racist comments against any number of minorities than I ever did in the south. Until now I’d say that Greenville, Miss., was the most racist place I was ever forced to live. But I’ve never lived anywhere (until now) where complete strangers would drop racial slurs into casual conversation. I’ve never heard so many white people use the N word.

However, as to the politics in this story, I don’t trust Musgrove as far as I can throw him. I had very limited experience with Roger Wicker when I covered politics in Mississippi, so I can’t say much about him as a person, but Musgove is one of the most fake people to ever grace Mississippi politics. He kind of weasely. I like the comment in the story from the voter who said, “Both of them are crooks,” Mr. Covington said, chuckling. “One of them’s just a little bit less.”

1 comment:

POPPA said...

The sleaziness of the Musgrove-Wicker contest is beyond belief... I wish there was a third party candidate!
Both are slurring the other as much as possible of course, but from what little I know of both of them I guess I'd have to go with Musgrove (sorry!), as sleaze aside, Wicker has put out 2 outright lies that I know of. Of course maybe Musgrove has too... and I just don't know about them!
POPPA