Sunday, February 22, 2009

American Museum of Natural History



Last week I finally went to the Natural History Museum. I think I went wrong somewhere in life because I'm obsessed with animals. I love visiting zoos and natural history museums and especially aquariums. I believe that I am actually part fish. (That said, I have I visited neither the Bronx Zoo nor the aquarium. I'm sure it will only take me another three years to get around to that.) I briefly flirted with the following professions in college: Marine Biologist, Archeologist, Astronomer. Seriously. I actually took 16 hours of astronomy before realizing the degree at my college was really just a physics degree with a little star gazing thrown in on the side. My college also didn't have an archeology degree. You had to study anthropology. But I digress.

Anyway, back to the Natural History Museum. This is not a place to visit if you don't have a lot of time. I had five hours and still only saw a tiny fraction of it. It is also an extremely confusing, sprawling place that at times makes no sense whatsoever. You wind up in places where it appears no one has been for many decades. This is what happens when you shun the maps and try to do things on your own. Finally, we went back to the front desk and picked up a map so that we could find the dinosaurs — because like every six year old in the world, I LOVE DINOSAURS. And I wasn't leaving without seeing them...or their bones, I guess would be the more appropriate wording. And in some cases their eggs.

It's ironic, I guess, that I love dinosaurs so much because my mom doesn't believe they ever existed. This is because there is no mention of dinosaurs in the Bible. I found this little fact out from my brother recently who told me my mom thinks people just stuck some old horse bones together to make them look like dinosaurs. I must admit, I was a little appalled.

So, in opposition to that, I give you even more dinosaur bones:


1 comment:

POPPA said...

Wait... Wait!! 2 out of 3 of those fotos aren't dinosaurs!

Actually, my mom probably thinks the same thing, though I've never actually asked her... I just always assumed (as you did too!)that she believed in them.

Jim D