Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Little Owl


On a recent Sunday I had brunch at a place in the West Village called The Little Owl. I was meeting someone for which there was the potential of playing, "Where do you want to eat?" "I don't know. Where do you want to eat?" For the better part of the morning. So instead I picked up New York Magazine, randomly picked this place out of the brunch offerings and said, "Let's go here. It sounds like it could be good." And it was.

It was tiny, of course. I think they have 10 tables and four bar stools. The kitchen looks like a closet and the prep room and lockers for staff are in the basement. On brunch mornings (weekends and they apparently do a popular President's Day brunch — who knew!) people start lining up outside about 30 minutes before it opens. I know this because I forgot what time they opened and got there earlier than I though I would. The person I was meeting was late. And so they wouldn't seat me until the "whole party arrived," which is understandable when you only have 10 tables and yet it was still annoying. They did however invite me to sit on this tiny elevated lounge area they had (hard to explain) in the corner where they kept the cell phone they use as a business phone and the laptop they use to play music for ambiance.

The music was great - as if they put my own iPod on shuffle. (There's music on their Web site, if you click on the link above. The music and Web site amused me for some reason.) And then they brought me coffee. For this I gave them major, major points, even as I secretly fumed that my brunchmate was 30 minutes late (that's about an hour I was waiting). He walked in right after a couple who took the last open table. So instead we crammed in with the two other people at the "bar". It turned out not to be so bad, though. One of the people left right after we sat down, so it turned out we had plenty of elbow room. Plus our coffee and water always stayed full.

The food was awesome as well. I had the fluffiest French toast ever with whipped cream and fruit and syrup. He had the applesmoked bacon (which apparently just tasted like regular bacon; minus points there) and pancakes. The menu also had heartier options for those who like their brunch to be more lunch and less br. The place was really adorable and I'd like to go back for brunch again and also to try their dinner menu. It looks good as well.

All in all, a happy happenstance find, The Little Owl.

No comments: