Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Update on Media Participation

Even before unemployment I had managed to up my movie intake, due primarily to my dating someone who was 1) unemployed and 2) lover of movies. We have very different tastes in movies. He likes chick flicks ("Devil Wears Prada" is his favorite), bro movies (what's that one with McLovin'? That's his second favorite movie of all time.) and mob movies (He was totally appalled that I hadn't seen "Goodfellas," which he has now remedied.) My favorite genres are foreign and independent films (or as he puts it, subtitle films) and sci fi. This has translated to me going to "The Hang Over" with him and his coming to see "Star Trek" with me.

So below is a summary of the movies I've seen in the last two months or so and a brief line on what I thought:

1. Harry Potter: I didn't read the books, but I have seen all the movies. This is the first one that hasn't felt like a completed movie. It seems entirely dependent on whatever comes next, which bothers me. I like, in a series, when a movie can stand on its own. Also WAY too long. They should have cut it from 2.5 hours to 2 hours.

2. Public Enemies: Again, way too long. The pacing was off and I kept thinking we were at the end, but we weren't. Johnny Depp and Christian Bale - pretty to look at; also very good acting. Marion Cotillard - also pretty to look at; wish I looked like her. Oh, and also very good acting, though her accent bothered me a little. There are a lot of other famous people scattered throughout the cast that you aren't expecting like Giovanni Ribisi, Billy Crudup and Leelee Sobieski. That guy from the first season of CSI: Miami and Diana Krall also make appearances. And Madison Dirks. He has a credited role. When did he start getting in movies?

3. The Hangover: Funnier than I expected; though as you might have guessed, most of the funnies bits were in the trailers and commercials.

4. Up: Probably the best of the movies I've seen this summer. We saw it in 3D, which everyone said was totally worth the extra money, but I wasn't all that impressed with the 3D. The previews for upcoming movies (the one where spaghetti falls from the sky and the one with the hamsters saving the world both look like they're going to be awesome in 3D). I think you'll be fine seeing this one in non-3D. But definitely see it.

5.Duplicity: I went to see this based solely on the fact that Clive Owen was in it and I saw him filming it at Grand Central. It was OK. Better than that other Clive Owen movie with Naomi Watts, which I saw based solely on the fact that Clive Owen was in it.

6. Star Trek: Awesome. The second best movie I've seen in the last two and half months. Even if you've never watched an episode of the Star Treks or seen any of the movies (like my date), you'll be able to follow this and, I think, like it. Of course, if you're a Star Trek fan, you'll like it even more.

7. Wolverine: Meh. You do get to see Hugh Jackman naked, though.

8. Ghosts of Girlfriends Past: WTF? A retelling of The Christmas Carol that was released in May? Who thought that was a brilliant marketing strategy? Who?

Today I'm off to see The Proposal. Look for another update on all the movies I've seen in July and the books I've FINALLY had time to read, soon.

No comments: