Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Snakes

I hate snakes. I hate them. I HATE them.

All snakes terrify me. Even dead ones. Even shed snake skin. Snakes and heights (or falling, I'm told) are my two greatest fears, and they are paralyzing kinds of fears. I see a snake and I freeze. I cannot move at all. I can't breath. And I certainly can't call for help.

So, of course, I live at Snake Central, where everyday is an adventure in "How many snakes will see on my walk today." At least here, the only snakes seem to be of the gartner snake variety, as opposed to my parents house where they are of the Amazon rain forest/rattlesnake/I will eat your baby for lunch kind of variety.

This summer a snake has moved into my complex. She/he lives below the steps to my apartment. She/he likes to come out during the day and sun her/himself in a little coil by the steps. At first, this terrified me. I was somehow convinced the snake would come into my apartment in the night, get into the bed with me and then slither all over my feet, at which point, I would quite literally DIE of fright. The snake has yet to do this. Instead, a curious thing has happened, I find myself checking in on the snake everyday. I look for it every time I go in and out of the apartment and I slowly realized that I am not afraid of this snake any more. I am not about to touch it as my neighbor was doing the other day. But I also feel a little bit protective of it.

Today I heard some of the guys, who are working on the apartment above mine, out front talking about killing a snake. Before I could yell out the window, "No. No. That's OUR snake." I heard what sounded like a shovel hitting pavement, some laughter and language I can't repeat here, and then a triumphant declaration that he snake was dead. I was heartbroken. Our snake was dead. Little Paulina is dead. (I don't know. The snake strikes me as a female, so I gave it a girl's name.) But then when I left for work today, I saw that the snake was curled up in little sun coil — warming herself as always, and I actually felt joy.

I'm still terrified of all other snakes and I have no idea why this snake has moved me so much. But if a snake and I can become friends, then who knows what will come next. World peace, anyone?

2 comments:

POPPA said...

Great post Maria!!! This is one of the all-time best blog posts I've ever read!
Yes, I'm still a faithful reader!
JIM/DAD/POPPA

Bucky said...

I haven't seen my snake lately, actually. I think they might have gotten rid of her while I was on vacation.