Friday, January 25, 2008

News from Patras

I guess the next step is to get rid of all the gypsies and Albanians? Greeks hate Albanians. They're the new Turks.

Authorities in the city of Patras began demolishing a camp right by the city's port that was home to nearly 4,000 illegal immigrants, mostly Afghan. Illegals would stay in the area and try to board ships bound for Italy or other European destinations.

The Greek Red Cross had given the immigrants a few days warning of the impending demolition of the camp. The question now is, where do they all go?

Authorities said a similar establishment at the port of Igoumenitsa (northwestern Greece) would soon be razed as well.

1 comment:

Vickie S said...

Hello, I hope you realise that the majority of illegal immigrants in Patra are from Iraq and Afghanistan. They have left their countries because Britain and US illegally attacked their countries. In addition, I find your comment about gypsies rather ignorant. They are Greeks and they have the same rights as every other Greek person living in the country so nobody can kick them out! As far as Albanians are concerned they have benefited the Greek countryside by working in agriculture and have repopulated many Greek villages that were abandoned by Greeks in the 60s and 70s due to mass urbanization. I am Greek and I have no problem with non-Greeks living in the country. I do have a problem with the ones commiting crimes although I realise that this is a minority. And I do accept that some Greeks are xenophobic or even racists but unfortunately this is a phenomenon in every country on this planet. So I think it would be better if you didn't generalise. Thanks