Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Tiger Taters!

Since there's not much I can add to the reams of print - both electronic and paper varieties - that has been written about LSU's victory over ESPN darlings Ohio State, I will instead write about my experience as the school's ambassador to the not-so-frozen-north, particularly my newsroom.

As soon as I stepped off the elevator today my immediate supervisor saw me and said, "Well I didn't expect to see you today. I thought you'd be too hung over from the celebrating." There was much congratulations thrown my way and as I told everyone that stopped by, "Yes. I take full credit for the LSU victory." And there is something to be said here, in that I purposely avoided going to the LSU alumni bar in the city to watch the game - though it would have been nice to celebrate with my fellow alumni - due to the (previously mentioned in another post) run of bad luck I've had with the place. I wanted to do nothing to jinx this game. Instead I opted to watch the game at home with my boy friend (I don't think I can quite put those two words together yet), Abita beer and pizza. Actually we were playing like buffoons until he showed up and then right on cue the game turned in our favor. So now not only do I have to avoid the alumni bar, but I have to haul this guy over to watch the games with me. Ensuring victory for LSU is getting harder and HARDER!

But I digress. Back to work: I came armed with my Zapps LSU Tiger Taters, which I put out for the newsroom to enjoy and wrote an obnoxiously glowy e-mail informing said newsroom of the afore mentioned chips. They were a huge hit and were gone in like 120 seconds. The executive editor kicked off the supervisors meeting today by saying the first order of business was to congratulate me on LSU's victory. And things continued along in this manner for the rest of the day. I heard confessions of people from Ohio who hated Ohio State and were secretly glad for their loss. There was much smack talk about the Big 10. It was nice...like I'd converted the entire newsroom in SEC - and in particular LSU - fans. My favorite story was form the assistant sports editor who went to LSU for something to do with a basketball tournament (I was unclear on whether he was playing or covering) and he was in awe of the acres and acres of sports facilities. He was all "the Mississippi River was right there," as if we aren't all "the Hudson River is RIGHT THERE" ourselves.

So anyway, I'm exhausted by my missionary work up here. Any other LSUers have funny day after stories to share?

No comments: