Friday, August 28, 2009

And we pause for a moment for dumb celebrity excuse of the day

I'm not even sure I've ever seen anything Mischa Barton has done. If it weren't for People and OMG and the rest of the tabloids, I might not even know she was an "actress". So when I read that she had "broken her silence on involuntary hospitalization" the first thing I thought was, "Wait. She was in the psych ward?" I didn't even know she had been hospitalized. But thanks to Yahoo, I now know not only that but the reason why:

"Here's what happened: Before the show started, I was traveling abroad for contract stuff and I went through a terrible surgery -- a wisdom tooth surgery, all four removed. It was a nightmare," the actress explained. "I've never had surgery before -- it all went wrong and I had to have a second surgery and it almost delayed shooting because it was a nightmare to me, because I couldn't deal with the thought of not getting there on time. So with the travel, and surgery and prep for the show -- it was hell."

Uhm. I had to have surgery to have my wisdom teeth out and it was the first surgery I'd ever had. Guess what? I didn't wind up crazy as a result of it. I had to get up the next day and go cover the governor's inauguration. My dad had to drive me because I was so doped up on pain pills, and yet still, somehow, I didn't go crazy.

And what's more, I had my surgery done in Mississippi. So if I can find a just find oral surgeon to do my wisdom teeth extraction in Mississippi on a newspaper reporter's insurance, how, for the love of God, did a celebrity with money not find someone to do an equally good job in Los Angeles?

All of this leads me to only one conclusion: drugs/eating disorder. The same reasons celebrities ALWAYS go to hospitals despite their pleas of fatigue, or whatever else. She should have gone with fatigue as her excuse in fact. It wouldn't have sounded nearly as dumb as, "I had to be locked up in a mental hospital due to having my wisdom teeth removed." Seriously?!

No comments: