Tuesday, August 04, 2009

The Government and You: Unemployment edition


So here's a fun fact. Though I've actually been unemployed for three weeks, to the state of New York, I've only been unemployed for one week...and they don't pay you for your first week of unemployment. It's officially known as the "waiting week".

Here's how the funness works:


Week one: Apply for unemployment. Wait.
Week two: File claim for week of unemployment. Wait.
Week three: Don't get paid for previous week of unemployment because it is the waiting week. File claim for week 2 of unemployment.
Week four: Get paid.

My head hurts with all the government math. Also, it took me from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. before I could get anyone on the phone to explain the above to me. The system was so busy that it would just tell you no one was available, try back another day, and hang up on you. When I finally got through to the part where you wait for the representatives,I had about a 20 minute hold. Luckily my phone has speaker. Cindy was not very helpful and seemed to think it perfectly fine to blame everything on the "unusually high unemployment". I was thinking, "Why the hell is this moron employed and I am not?"

I've witnessed a lot of dysfunctional governments in my time (Louisiana state, Memphis city, Village of Memphis, Miss./Walls) but seriously, New York state is by far the worst. The worst. I wish I could give it a prize and I wish that prize could be a bloody revolution akin to what the French did to all their royalty.

No comments: