Friday, April 15, 2005

"Under 30s with money to burn" does not = "children"

Newspaper editors of America,

Stop putting stories about schools and day care programs on the front page. On a recent random day, the front page of my local paper had three, count them 1-2-3 stories on schools. The number of young women NOT having children is INCREASING not decreasing. There is a reason the New York Times most e-mailed list, Yahoo! and Google News do not have school stories listed. Children belong somewhere in Metro, anything located under Yahoo's category Oddly Enough belongs on the front page. This is because news of the weird attracts people's attention, even those with kids.

Seriously, which of these would you guys rather read:

1. A South African zoo is trying to persuade its star chimpanzee to kick a bad smoking habit.

2. Germantown mom exposes grade trap.

Come on now, be truthful. You all want to know about the smoking monkey. Smoking monkeys kick ass. Grade traps, do not.

3 comments:

Linus said...

Yeah, no kidding. Parents don't have time to read the paper anyway. But me, I glaze over unless...."Holy shit, what's a wolphin?!!!"

And I should be clear. Weird, odd, gruesome stuff = interesting. Paris Hilton does not.

Anonymous said...

Surprise surprise. Another huge front page story about a child going to school today.

Oh, and something about sports.

On the bright side, someone wrote a letter to the editor about me today. "I wonder if your reviewer saw the same concert I did?" it begins, as all letters to the editor about me begin.

Then he goes on to say how I got the review wrong. I re-read my review and, um, I can learn from his comments.

He totally agrees with what I said in my review. I suppose next time I just need to be more plain about it. Write and learn, you know?

Bucky said...

Sigh. I know. Clearly management here is not taking my blog to heart. When I walked in today and picked up the paper I could only laugh as yet another story about schools was on the front. Instead of writing anything I should post the front page on this blog and say, Newspaper Editors, this is what NOT to do.

Also, you must use smaller words in your reviews. You cannot be Woody Allen in this town.