Sunday, June 24, 2007

Searching for The Bloody Veil

I supposed I should blog here about my ongoing search for a film my mother was in.

Though I have always been "looking" for it, I think my search has been relatively passive. The last few weeks, however, I've moved into a much more aggressive search due primarily to the fact that about a year ago I told a friend about my mom's "secret" past and he's been on me ever since to track down this movie. Last week I told him what I think the name of the film is, "The Bloody Veil" and he was all like, "I LOVE that name. I'm going to steal it."

I reinterviewed my mom on this topic and she was less forthcoming before. I did find out they filmed it in Athens; in the area where the new airport is. I've also decided to focus my search on the years 1958-1962. She met my dad in 1963 and he knew nothing of this, so I think it must have been made before then and while she was living in Athens. The next time I talk to her I need to find out exactly when she lived in Athens. This could give me an even narrower window to search in — or a wider window, I suppose.

So I've started writing e-mails to Greek film studies professors. I'm also writing to some friends in Greece. This movie is supposed to play fairly regularly on television there, so maybe they'll be able to tell me more. Even a more complete plot line would be helpful. I'll keep you up-to-date and also any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

if you were going to do a search, would you have to use greek characters?

Oh, and maybe if you contacted the greek version of "Where are they now?" you could score a copy in return for a one-on-one with mom?!

Bucky said...

I've searched in what I think is the Greek name in Greek characters, the Greek words in the English characters (known as Greeklish, believe it or not — it's very common because most cell phones and computers/Internet in Greece still come from countries that use a Latin alphabet), and in English. I keep hitting a wall. Alleged at the height of Greek cinema in the 1960s they only made 60 films a year. I've been working my way through every listing from 1958-1962 in Internet Movie Database, but I'm not even close.

Today I'm writing to a friend in Greece to get her mom to talk to my aunt. I'm hoping to have better luck like that.