Friday, August 17, 2007

Reports from the front line

As some of you perhaps don't follow the happenings of our dead king as much as I do, you may not have realized that Thursday was the 30th anniversary of Elvis' death. This meant much hoopla...well, everywhere there are Elvis fans, I guess. But nowhere more so than in Memphis where Death Week is celebrated every year, but the major milestones are even crazier, as you can imagine.

Anyway, today I got this e-mail from the photo assignment editor of the Commercial Appeal. I wanted to share. The subject line: Elvis has not left the building

Well you missed another anniversary of The King's death here in
Memphis.
It was particularly freaky this year.
My grossest Elvis fan sighting was Wednesday (death day) in the lobby
of the Peabody Hotel.
He was a man about 65 years old with a huge belly, wearing a black
fish-net tank top, a huge crop of hair on his chest, a huge crop of hair on
his back protruding thru the tank top, wearing black shorts, black
loafers and black socks. Of course he was also adorned with the
mutton-chop sideburns and shades, and one of those little Elvis boat captian
hats. Or I guess it could have been a motorcycle cap.
Naturally he was lugging two shopping bags full of his Elvis crap
around with him.
He was standing in the traffic jam in the lobby outside Lansky's (you
know where the King used to shop for all his clothes).
Tourist were jammed up outside the store shooting video of the window
displays.
And I thought I didn't have a life.

It wasn't two minutes later that I almost bumped into a little midget
Elvis as I was leaving the hotel.
At least he was dressed like he had some dignity. All three and a half
feet of him.

Just thought you'd enjoy the vision as much as I did.
Now you write back ya hear.

MM

No comments: