Thursday, August 23, 2007

To Kill An Arts Director

The Big Read book for the city (and I guess the universe) this year is To Kill A Mockingbird. Yesterday, the arts reporter who was working on the story was interviewing the director of the arts council, which is coordinating the local Big Read. And lo and behold, he admits he has never read To Kill A Mockingbird. Though, he quickly added, he's read "parts" of it. The newsroom went wild.

"Didn't he go to 9th grade?"

"By parts of it, does he mean Cliffnotes?"

"Has he, perhaps, also read parts of Huckleberry Finn and 1984?"

You really can't make up stuff like this.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

I've known two other people -- both from north of the Mason/Dixon line -- who also hadn't read that book in school. Maybe it's a Southern required reading thing?

Anonymous said...

Probably so (I'm agreeing with Melinda). Also, it probably would have been better if the Big Read person just took the book home and read it in an evening, rather than admitting "parts of it." Or is it a straddling the fence strategy ("I've read it but I haven't read it...")?

Linus said...

I didn't read it until a few years ago. I went to a really shitty rural public high school.