Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Creatively Yours...also known as: Week 2 Begins

So my creativity class met today, thereby rendering my entire morning - to use the technical term - "shot." Hopefully I'll get some work done after lunch. I have several interviews I need to conduct today and unless we have another flu vaccine shortage pop up, I should be able to fit them in. But my job is ever changing, so who the hell knows.

Back to creativity. We've already had one person drop out of our small group because she just doesn't have time to meet and do the work, which really isn't all that much, but whatever. A second person didn't show up today and it's only our second meeeting. A third may not finish the course because he has yet to do any of the work...except maybe the chapter reading. I'm not sure. Look, I think this class is dopey just like they do, but I'm in it and I'm going to finish it and I don't appreciate people who slack off their work in class or on the job. If I can find time, they can find time.

So, as you can imagine, right now I'm not feeling the creative flow, I'm feeling rather bitter. I also didn't feel very nurture today as an argument broke out over the definition of creativity, which is just ridiculous. I made the point that you can't be creative with earnings reports and several of my classmates said, "Oh sure you can." (They do not work with earnings reports.) And I thought yeah, you can, but it's called fraud by most people.

Then the facilitator (because we don't have a "teacher") said, "Yeah, like..." and launched into some story about changing the way you come to work and I just was looking at her like, "What the hell does this have to do with earnings reports?!" I mean what bad movie have I walked into, people?! Someone help me, please! I'm crying out to you! Call out the dream police to help get me to the waking world because this can't be it!

Anyone?

Help.

2 comments:

Linus said...

My Creativity Class:
Step 1: Get Coffee
Step 2: Get Whiskey
Step 3: Mix
Step 4: Drink
Step 5: Create

Your life is a Dilbert waiting to happen right now. Get out while you can.

Anonymous said...

Deadman,

Of course my life is a Dilbert cartoon. Everyday I live out that strip. Like today. I got a bitchy E-mail from an editor because I turned in some news they weren't expecting at the end of the day yesterday. I think it read something like:

"What is that? News in a newspaper? Don't be insane. Aren't you late for creativity class or something?"

Buck