Tuesday, October 12, 2004

A Quick Musical Interlude

I saw an great show in an awkward setting last night. (Held at a local restaurant/nightclub. Those of us without a table had to bob and weave to avoid the slightly annoyed food-carrying waiters.) The show was short but unique with Section Quartet as the opener, playing stringed version of pop/rock music. The main act was a woman named Sam Phillips, who is yet another prolific singer/song writer I've never heard of. (I am so not cool.) The music was not alt. country, as I was told before hand, but more country-influenced jazz. Sam has a great voice that seems both throaty and bubbly at the same time. Too bad I'm not a writer, perhaps I could explain it better. Anyway, check her out if you have the time. Best of all, despite the clinking of plates you could clearly hear the show. And there were very few idiots yelling out to the singer but all did so at appropriate times, which I think of as: When the singer is not singing or talking.

2 comments:

Linus said...

Ya, she's pretty good. She's recently divorced from T-Bone Burnett and does the "la la la la la"'s on the Gilmore Girls. Which you should watch, yo.

Bucky said...

I watch the Gilmore Girls...well, not religiously, but more often than I remember to watch the West Wing (who apparently wield so much power on NBC, they can just have their season premier whenever they feel like it). I didn't realize that was Sam doing the lalala's. Thanks for the info. Speaking of GG, I noted the reference to Rilo Kiley last night and thought of you. Had hoped to hear more of the song, but oh well...