Saturday, February 16, 2008

AP Dish, not Wire

Once upon a time, I'm sure, the news from the Associated Press (AP)* was transmitted over an actual wire. But as technology tends to do, we've advance now and the AP stories come shooting to us via large satellite dishes that sit atop our building.

I bring this up, not because it's any kind of new revelation — the AP dish has been around my entire career - but because as I was sitting outside the building earlier today, waiting for my car to warm up and staring at the dish, I realized how much the dish sucks in the winter. It particularly sucks on a snowy Saturday when building maintenance isn't here and we have to climb up there with a broom and knock the snow off it. It just occurred to me that this was nothing I ever had to do in the south. When news wasn't moving on the wire, it's because there was no news to move. Now it's because someone needs to go up and knock the snow off. Just another reason to be oh, so tired of snow.


*Most of you are either reporters or people who know reporters or people who at least READ the news and thus know what the AP is. (Some of you, it's true, even WORK for the AP.) For those of you who do not, it is a global news organization/behemoth, which provides print and broadcast stories for member news organizations...namely every paper you've ever read.

No comments: