Monday, February 18, 2008

Staten Island. Like Brooklyn, but without stuff, and with detached houses, and...OK, nothing at all like Brooklyn

[Sigh] I did not go to Park Slope today. I went to someplace that was very much NOT Park Slope. I went, instead, to Staten Island.

In particular, I went to what I believed is called the Woodrow section of Staten Island, where my boyfriend just moved from Westchester County. He moved to Staten Island because Brooklyn - where he works - was too expensive to live in. Actually he's not the first person I've heard say that. Some friends of mine recently moved from Park Slope to Manhattan because MANHATTAN was cheaper. When did THAT happen?!

Anyway, I digress. Staten Island.

You see, I really want to have an open mind. I'm not originally from here. (I know. I know. Who is?) I shouldn't have any inherent dislike of that island, no reason to think of it as a garbage dump. But here's the thing about New York - all of New York - everywhere I go all the stereotypes and things you see in movies and on television seem to be true (except people, in general, are WAY nicer than they are given credit for. WAY nicer). But from what I've seen of Staten Island - and it's not a lot yet - it is a dump. And, to make matters worse, there is nothing but houses for MILES where my boyfriend lives. There is a gas station and a Domino's that delivers. Google and the phone book were no help. So we had Domino's. ARG! Staten Island! ARG!

I'm sure this won't be the last you hear of my life with Staten Island. Unfortunately.

3 comments:

Cheri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheri said...

maria! tell me more about this boyfriend of yours.... and how you've been! marc and i are talking again, which makes me super happy, and i might even be up in your neighborhood some time in the next few months.

but of course by "your neighborhood" i DO NOT mean Staten Island....

;)

Anonymous said...

You know someone else who lives in S. I.: my notorious ex. But I don't know what his neighborhood's called.