Friday, July 13, 2007

A call for the Best of Bucky

One of the feature's editors asked me if I'd be interested in writing a column today. It runs at the bottom of the life page and rotates through a few staffers and is about anything. It's not political nature. It's about life, or the lives of those who write it. Of the four or five people she had writing it, only two are still around. I think I'd like it. But I have to turn in some sample columns first.

I just finished a draft of one on my search for my mother's movie. It's very serious in its tone and I am mostly known around the office for my wit. So I'd like the other two sample columns to be funny. I think I can just recycle and expand some of my blog topics. Any suggestions on which ones would be best? I'd like to do my downstairs neighbor woes, but my name and photo would run with column, so I don't know if I'm that mean. It's one thing to blog to you guys about him...then again he doesn't get the paper, so he'd probably never know. I think eventually I'll do one on my misadventures in dating a government agent, but to start out with I think some more inane or innocuous topics might be better. So suggestions?

6 comments:

Outlander said...

I think a general column on the pitfalls of myspace would be a hoot. Your short post on that was hilarious. The whole "your hot" line and your response should definitely be exposed to a wider audience. I'll keep looking through your archives to find something else.

Outlander said...

What about some amalgam of last year's wedding posts? Bitching about weddings is something everyone can relate to - and something especially dear to my heart right now.

Bucky said...

I was thinking of the wedding posts myself. I need to figure out how to rework that into something timely. That's a good idea...as is the MySpace one. I think I'll use that one as one of my sample columns. So I'll humiliate some people around town. They NEED to be humiliated. Plus, it'll make more people go look up my MySpace page and leave increasingly ridiculous posts there.

I just finished my second, sample column, by the way. It's on commuting via Vespa and all the nasty things on the road, especially dead animals. Commuters are supposed to be a target audience of our paper, so I think they'll appreciate that.

Let me know what else you come up with. These are both great ideas!

Cheri said...

what about Roland's magnetism? I think he would make a good column, especially as it related to characters you've met as a result of his gravitational pull....

Cheri said...

and you've traveled a lot...so, maybe that would be a good topic? oh, and i don't know if you wrote about this before, but what about that wine tasting we went to last year? that was pretty funny....

Bucky said...

The wine tasting is a good one. I didn't write about it here, but there was recently a NY Times article about how wine tastings in New York have gotten out of control with people coming to them wanting to get drunk on the cheap, not taste wine...though after offering (how many different wines did they have us taste? 8? 10?) 12 glasses of wine, what do they expect?